MSDN E-academy downloads
MSDN-AA is currently not active. Please go to http://dreamspark.com for free Microsoft downloads
Some subjects in the Faculty of IT require certain pieces of Microsoft software. Students who need to install these particular software onto their own home/computers or laptops will be required to sign up for the MSDN Academic Alliance at the Technical Support Desk (CB10.03.510).
This document guides you through the process of logging onto the E-academy site and downloading software from it, in this case "Visual Source Safe". It is recommended that you use Internet Explorer to complete the download, as other browsers may have trouble downloading the software due to spaces in the filenames.
- Login to the e-academy site. These details will be sent to your email （usually within 24 hours) after you sign an MSDNAA agreement at the Technical Support Desk (CB10.03.510). The main login screen is secure, once you submit your login details your browser may warn you that you will be taken to a site that is not secure. Continue on (click Yes in Internet Explorer).
- Select the software title you are downloading from the drop-down box. In this example we'll select Visual SourceSafe 6.0d. Click the Go button next to it.
- Make sure the Download option is selected. Click Add to Cart.
- You may be presented with a screen showing a copy of the Academic Alliance agreement you signed off to earlier at the Technical Support Desk. Read through the guidelines and click on "I Agree" if you agree to them and wish to continue downloading the software.
- The next screen displays your Shopping Trolley. The software you have just added to it should be listed. Click on Checkout.
- The Customer Information screen shows a list of software you have just ordered. Check again to make sure you've got the right software and enter your full name and email in the fields provided. You may also want to subscribe to the MSDN Student Flash newsletter. This is optional.
- The next screen confirms your order details. Click on the name of the software you are attempting to download.
- If your software installation requires a CD-key or serial number, it will be displayed on this product page. Click on Download to download the software client.
- If prompted, save the installer to your computer. The installer is a small application which will download and decrypt the software you are attempting to install.
- Go to the folder location where you installed the software and run the installer (by double-clicking on it, or selecting it and pressing the Enter key on your keybard.
- You will be prompted to enter a path where the downloaded files can be saved. You will not be able to save it to the root directory of the drive (e.g. "C:\"), you must enter a folder name (e.g. "C:\Temp"). Enter a folder name and select Resume.
- The installer will automatically download and unpack the software for you. If you selected an ISO, it will save the ISO on your hard-drive for you.
- Once the installer has completed it's tasks, it will ask whether or not you want to continue installation of the product. Click Launch install to install it.
- The software has downloaded. You may burn a copy of the software for your own use, as per the terms of the Academic Alliance agreement. You may need to run the "Setup" program in the downloaded software files to finish installing the software.